MICHAEL L. COLWELL lawyer
GET IN TOUCH
CONNECT WITH ME
RECENT ARTICLES/CASE STUDIES
- A series of unfortunate events, proving fraud in the insurance context
- Waiting for the Umpire to Make the Call Under BC’s Insurance Act
- Double duty: ‘Direct and visible supervision’ of third parties is required under BC’s Occupiers Liability Act
- Spelling it out: B.C. trial courts must explain their reasoning
- The Supreme Court of Canada Weighs the Validity of Limitation of Liability Clauses
A trial lawyer for insurers, surety providers, and other businesses, Michael Colwell has conducted numerous trials in jury and non-jury settings, as well as appeals across Western Canada.
Called to the Bar in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, and Yukon, Michael’s legal practice includes insurance defence, professional liability, surety, personal injury, and class actions.
“If it matters to you as my client, it matters to me,” he said. “I want to learn more about my clients. I am curious about day-to-day company strategy. The more I learn, the more effective I can be.”
One of his favourite aspects of practicing litigation law is the strategy it requires. “It is ever-evolving,” he said. “There are ‘unknown unknowns’ – situations that are so unexpected that they would not be considered. This is a challenging yet rewarding aspect of practicing law.”
Michael also has experience in giving coverage advice to insurers, and in representing insurers in the context of auto, accident benefits, injury claims, construction claims, product liability and medical malpractice claims as well as errors and omissions claims pertaining to various professionals. He has appeared as counsel at courts in Alberta, BC, and the Yukon including their respective trial and appellate levels.
A legal instructor at Vancouver Community College, his advice for first-year lawyers is to be careful to avoid assumptions. “Language is often a clumsy tool for conveying meaning, and it can hide assumptions,” he said. “If you are given an assignment, you may need to challenge the research question or its author.”
As someone who likes to travel the world, Michael earned his private pilot’s licence in 2020.
- Insurance Defence
- Coverage Advice
- Professional Liability
- Personal Injury
- Class Actions
- Member, Insurance Law Subsection, Canadian Bar Association – British Columbia Branch
- Member, Canadian Defence Lawyers
- Member, Medical Legal Society of British Columbia
- Member, Defense Research Institute
Law is a system for organizing arguments. Arguing well for the benefit of your client serves the client and the legal community.