Kyle began working at Brownlee LLP in 2011 as a Summer Law Student, after which, he continued with Brownlee LLP as an Articling Student (Student-at-Law) from July 2013 to July 2014. As an Articling Student, Kyle’s desire to practice labour and employment law was confirmed. In August 2014, he was ultimately accepted by Brownlee LLP as an Associate in its Labour and Employment group practice area.
Kyle helps all types of employers handle all forms of labour and employment issues by providing strategic, practical, and cost-effective advice. Although Kyle practices in all areas of labour and employment law, some (but not all) of his areas of expertise include:
- Proactive advice on hiring and terminations, with a view to avoiding or limiting exposure for wrongful or
- Constructive dismissal, Human Rights complaints, Employment Standards Code complaints, and grievances/arbitrations;
- Defence/litigation of wrongful/constructive dismissal lawsuits, Human Rights complaints, Employment Standards Code complaints, and grievances/arbitrations;
- Proactive advice on proper performance management and discipline of employees;
- Proactive advice on addressing and managing employee disabilities and an employer’s resulting duty to accommodate;
- Assessment, and negotiation, of severance entitlement;
- Collective bargaining;
- Drafting employment offers, agreements, contracts, and any required amendments, with a view to proactively limiting liability exposure in the future;
- Drafting, reviewing, and revising, employer policies and procedures;
- Occupational Health & Safety matters;
- Drug and alcohol testing matters; and
- Confidential personnel and privacy matters
Outside of work, Kyle is an avid Oilers fan. He also enjoys going to the gym, snowboarding, dedicating himself to various t.v. series, and listening to all types of music. Moreover, when the opportunity presents itself, Kyle is quick to accept any invitation to go boating, wakeboarding, or wakesurfing.
- Law Society of Alberta
- Canadian Bar Association
I always had childhood aspirations to become a lawyer and to pursue strengths in analysis and problem solving.