Kent first began working as a summer student with Brownlee LLP in 2011, later completing his articles with the firm during 2013 and 2014. He was called to the Bar in 2014 and presently serves as a member of Brownlee’s Insurance Defence and Municipal Litigation groups. He has experience with litigation and advocacy both in Alberta Courts and in alternative dispute resolution, such as mediation and judicial dispute resolution.
He has an extensive background in insurance, having worked as a broker for several years prior to entering law, and his family has roots in the insurance industry going back three generations. Kent’s background and interest in insurance have led to him specialize in insurance law, including such topics as coverage, professional errors and omissions, subrogation and general insurance defence, among others. His practice also involves a significant municipal component as he regularly works for the largest municipal insurance providers in Alberta.
Kent has given educational talks on litigation and risk management for various groups, such as AAMDC Riskpro and Strathcona County Emergency Services. He has also volunteered for pro bono legal groups such as the Edmonton Community Legal Clinic and Amicus programs. Further, he is involved as a board member for the charity organization Kids Up Front, which helps to put event tickets into the hands of underprivileged children.
- Insurance Defence Litigation
- Municipal & Public Sector Litigation
- Commercial General Liability Claims
- Personal Injury Defence
- Professional Negligence, Errors and Omissions
- Insurance Coverage Analysis
- Mediation & Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Executive Member, Canadian Bar Association, Civil Litigation North
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Edmonton Community Legal Clinic
- Board Member, Kids Up Front
Director, Kids Up Front