For partner Gary Holan, client relationships are central to his practice.
“My primary goal is to forge relationships with my clients so we have a mutual trust,” says Gary, a civil litigator whose practice areas include commercial litigation, professional errors and omissions, insurance coverage and personal injury. “My legal practice is based on bonds that go back decades, and that’s very important to me. I think it speaks to how important it is for clients to know that I will deliver on their objectives and needs.
“I enjoy what I do immensely – the type of practice that I have, the type of law that I do, and the day to day dealings with my clients.”
Gary makes it his goal to treat every file as personally important. “You want to deliver the result as if it was your very own interest at stake, both personally and financially,” he explains. “I take my clients’ interests very seriously. With every file I have, I attempt to meet, if not exceed, their expectations.”
Born and raised Edmonton, Gary attended the Faculty of Business (with distinction) at the University of Alberta, where he earned his Bachelor of Laws degree (LL.B.) (Dean’s List) in 1994. He was called to the bar in Alberta (1995) and the Northwest Territories (2009). Gary has been with Brownlee for his entire career.
Gary is proud of the Brownlee’s team approach as it benefits clients in a number of ways. “Brownlee has a lot of like-minded lawyers who practise law in a very skilled and efficient way. We all know we have to deliver the desired results for our clients, even if that involves taking different paths to get there. At the end of the day, we are measured on our results.”
Gary and his wife have three children, and he spends most of his leisure time in hockey and lacrosse arenas with his kids (as a parent and coach); soccer fields; and on the golf course.
Gary has appeared before the following courts and tribunals:
- The Provincial Court of Alberta
- The Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench
- The Alberta Court of Appeal
- The Alberta Worker’s Compensation Board
- The Supreme Court of the Northwest Territories
He also has extensive experience with all forms of Alternative Dispute Resolution.
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Edmonton Bar Association
- Member, Alberta Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Law Society of the Northwest Territories
- Member, Canadian Litigation Counsel, Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith Sub-Group, Environmental Liability Sub-Group
- Insurance Law Sub-Section, Canadian Bar Association
- Civil Litigation Sub-Section, Canadian Bar Association
- Coach – Minor Hockey and Lacrosse