Michael joined our Municipal Team after having initially practiced law in Australia, where he maintains dual citizenship. Prior to joining Brownlee LLP, Michael practiced with a national Australian law firm in the area of construction and major projects litigation, planning and development, and environmental law, and former to that, Michael was an Associate to a judge of the District Court of Queensland.
An Alberta native, Michael obtained his initial academic and professional qualifications in earth science and resource management, later gaining career experience in the construction, municipal government, and planning and development sectors prior to commencing his legal career.
Drawing on his collective professional and legal experience, Michael’s legal practice is broad spanning across the areas of administrative law, municipal law, planning and development law, litigation, and commercial law.
- Real Estate (including land acquisition and divestment matters)
- Drafting and Preparing Commercial Agreements
- Municipal Bylaw Enforcement and Prosecutions
- Review and Drafting of Municipal Bylaws
- Planning and Development Advice and Appeals
- Expropriation Proceedings
- Council Conduct and Procedure Matters
- Public Body Governance Matters
- Election and Procedure Matters
- Privacy Law Issues Matters
- Employment Law Matters
- Member, Barrister & Solicitor, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Certified Technician, (C.Tech.), Dual Registered: Bioscience and Resource Management, The Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta (ASET)
- Calgary Corporate Challenge – Brownlee LLP (Calgary office) Coordinator – 2016 – Present
- Council Member (Public Member), College of Alberta Psychologists, 2014 – Present
- Commissioned Officer, Royal Canadian Navy, Naval Reserve – Cadet Instructor Cadre (2006 – 2009)
- Air Cadet, 395 Royal Canadian Air Cadet Squadron, Edmonton (1995 – 2002)