Many leaders, especially those in Human Resources, will tell you that 20% of the people consume 80% of their time. Kirsten likes to help her clients flip that statistic by working on their business instead of in it. Kirsten is an experienced Labour & Employment and Education lawyer with a unique background in executive management meaning she knows how to take theory into practice. Although she’s always there to help if you get into trouble, Kirsten prefers to support her clients with
proactive strategies, policy/process development and professional learning opportunities. She works with Management in both unionized and non-union workplaces, and has experience with employers of all types and sizes including large corporations, small family businesses, municipalities, school boards and not-for-profits. Kirsten learned these skills in the trenches – she spent 5 years at Northlands, a 139-year old not-for-profit company that was home to the Edmonton Oilers,
the Canadian Finals Rodeo, horse racing, K-Days and western Canada’s largest conference centre. As Vice President of People Services & General Counsel, Kirsten oversaw the legal affairs of the company as well as led 2,200 employees and 1,500 volunteers through everything from strategic initiatives to operational matters. Whether Boardroom politics or bucking bulls, Kirsten has seen it all.
- Assisted successful counsel for the Intervener, the Alberta Urban Municipalities Association, at the Supreme Court of Canada in the case of Her Majesty the Queen Public Service Alliance of Canada;
- Acted as co-counsel in the successful landmark School Boundary Case (Calgary Board of Education Palliser Regional School Division No. 26) before the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench and the Alberta Court of Appeal;
- Acted as co-counsel in the decision of v. Town of D. before the Human Rights Tribunal of Alberta, which successfully defended the employer from discrimination allegations arising from workplace personality conflicts.
- Member, Brownlee LLP Student Recruitment Committee
- Member, Canadian Bar Association – Alberta, Education Law Subsection
- Member, Canadian Bar Association – Alberta, Labour & Employment Law Subsection
- Member, Canadian Bar Association – Alberta, CCCA Law Subsection
Director, Edmonton Police Foundation