John has over 20 years of experience as in house counsel for two of the largest municipalities in Canada: the City of Calgary and the Region of Peel. While at the City of Calgary, he was the manager of litigation.
He has practiced in most areas of municipal law. He is a past member of the SDAB in Calgary. As counsel, he has appeared before the Provincial Court of Alberta, the Alberta Court of King’s Bench, the Alberta Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada, as well as numerous Boards and Tribunals.
- Administrative Law
- Human Rights
- Labour & Employment
- Mediation, Arbitration, & Dispute Resolution
- Municipal Enforcement Practice
- Municipal Governance & Authority
- Occupational Health & Safety
- Planning & Development
- Public Sector Litigation, Liability & Defence
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Law Society of Upper Canada
- Member of the Canadian, Alberta, and Calgary Bar associations.
- Past Co-Chair of Labour and Employment CBA.
I can give three reasons amongst many why I chose law:
1. I have heard it said that law affects every part of our lives, and in my university studies I found that very true;
2. Also often in law there is no right answer, just a convincing one; and
3. Truth and Justice is something you must seek.