AARON PETERKIN partner, coverage counsel
CONNECT WITH ME
Aaron is an experienced litigator. He is a member of the Law Societies of Ontario (2004), Alberta (2010), the Northwest Territories (2017), and Yukon (2020). He has also appeared in Manitoba’s Courts of Queen’s Bench and Appeal.
Aaron provides coverage advice to insurers of builders’ risk (course of construction), wrap-up liability, commercial general liability, professional errors and omissions, and commercial property policies. His practice includes the defence of coverage actions, priority disputes amongst insurers, construction defect litigation, complex and catastrophic accident claims.
Aaron is thorough and meticulous in representing client interests. He guides clients through the litigation process by identifying litigation risks, providing strategic analysis and advice; and assiduous advocacy.
Aaron is an adjunct lecturer at the University of Alberta’s Faculty of Law. He teaches Insurance Law.
Aaron has conducted trials before the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench, Ontario’s Superior Court of Justice and the Ontario Court of Justice. Aaron has also conducted applications, motions and appeals in courts throughout Alberta, Ontario and Manitoba, which includes:
- The Ontario and Manitoba Courts of Appeal (Toronto, Winnipeg);
- The Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench (Edmonton, Calgary, St. Paul, Leduc);
- The Manitoba Court of Queen’s Bench (Winnipeg);
- The Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Toronto, Hamilton, Brampton, Barrie, Newmarket, Whitby, North Bay, Sudbury, Guelph, Kitchener, Owen Sound);
- The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario’s Licence Appeal Tribunal; and,
- The Alberta Workers’ Compensation Board’s Dispute Resolution and Decision Review Body (Edmonton).
Outside of work, Aaron is an experienced freefly skydiver with over 1,100 jumps from altitudes in excess of 13,000 feet AGL. Aaron is a member of sport parachuting associations in Canada (CSPA) and the United States (USPA). Presently, Aaron is the Vice-President of the Board of Directors of the Alberta Sport Parachuting Association (ASPA) and was a contributing editor of the June/July 2020 edition of CanPara magazine. He also packs his own parachute reasonably well.
Aaron has appeared as counsel in the following reported decisions:
- Bodnar Capital Corporation (301831 Alberta Ltd) v Synergy Projects Ltd, 2019 ABQB 528
- Winnipeg Airports Authority Inc v Allianz Global Risks US Insurance Company, 2017 MBCA 101
- Winnipeg Airports Authority Inc. v. Allianz Global Risks US Insurance Co., 2016 MBQB 185
- Bansal v. Ferrara Pan Candy Co., 2014 ABQB 384
- Steinke v. Hajduk Gibbs LLP, 2014 ABQB 34
- (A.B.) v. G. (M.), 2013 ABQB 461
- Dobert v. McCulloch, (2009), 179 A.C.W.S. (3d) 669
- Dobert v. McCulloch, 2008 ONCJ 673
- Longyear Canada, ULC v. 897173 Ontario Inc.,  O.J. No. 374
- Longyear Canada, ULC v. 897173 Ontario Inc.,  O.J. No. 4834
- 1146726 Ontario Inc. v. National Trust Co.,  O.J. No. 1487 (CA)
- Law Society of Upper Canada (2004)
- Law Society of Alberta (2010)
- Law Society of Northwest Territories (2017)
- Law Society of Yukon (2020)